to display context-
sensitive ads on this
page. Learn how to
manage Google cookies
by visiting the
Google Technologies Centre
▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼
▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
(Horseradish Tree family)
This is a family of 13 species of deciduous trees and sub-shrubs classified in a single genus, namely Moringa Rheede ex Adans. (Mabberley 2008)
Mustard oil thioglucosides are a feature of this family as with the Cruciferae and the Capparaceae. These thioglucosides yield potentially irritant and allergenic isothiocyanates (mustard oils).
- Moringa oleifera Lam.
- (syns Guilandina moringa L., Hyperanthera moringa Vahl, Moringa moringa Millsp., Moringa pterygosperma Gaertn., Moringa zeylanica Burmann)
- Ben Tree, Drumstick Tree, Horseradish Tree, Moringa Tree, Emmunggai, Gemunggai, Lemunggai, Meringgai, Morunggai, Remunggai, Kachang Kelur, Ben Ailée, Meerrettichbaum
The seeds known as Ben nuts are the source of a fixed oil known as oil of Ben. The roots smell of horseradish (Armoracia rusticana Gaertner, Meyer & Scherb., fam. Cruciferae) (Menninger 1987, Mabberley 2008).
[Further information available but not yet included in database]
- Mabberley DJ (2008) Mabberley's Plant-Book. A portable dictionary of plants, their classification and uses, 3rd edn. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press [WorldCat]
- Menninger EA (1967) Fantastic Trees. New York: Viking Press [WorldCat]
- [ + 8 further references not yet included in database]